Tuesday 17 August 2010

The Tethers awarded London Festival Fringe New Poetry Award 2010

Last night at the Pizza Express Soho's Jazz Cafe, I was awarded the London Festival Fringe New Poetry Award for The Tethers. Judge Daljit Nagra's description of the book could not have been more appreciative--it nearly made me cry. I'll receive the £2500 cheque at another awards ceremony at the Waldorf Hilton in London on the 26th.

My thanks to all the judges and to my fellow shortlisted poets, the quality of whose work made the prize that much more dear.

5 comments:

  1. This is absolutely brilliant news, Carrie. Totally and thoroughly deserved. Knew The Tethers was too good a first collection to go unrewarded. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:16 pm

    Excellent, Carrie! Totally and utterly thrilled for you and I can only echo what Ben has just said. It was surely only a matter of time before a first collection of such maturity and depth was duly acknowledged, but let not that expectation on the part of an out-and-out "fan" take anything from what else this achievement is testimony to: the field was strong, as you have said, and that does indeed make the winning of the prize all that much more to be heartily congratulated!

    ANOTHER bottle of champagne in September! :))

    H xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! And thoroughly deserved. I feel really privliged seeing some of the process of this collection before the final version.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:01 pm

    Carrie, you star, nice to see that others appreciate you shining so brightly too! Vino on me when I see you next. You really deserved it Carrie! Here's to the next collection! Chin Chin

    Rach

    ReplyDelete