Friday 1 May 2009

National Poetry Month--how'd it go?

I'd be glad to hear reports of how it went for others trying for a poem a day. Something unusual happened with my work: I began writing in spurts, that is, roughly three poems in a go. That partly results from my work on After Sex; those tend to come out several at a time. But I've also written elegies for my father, a few Divining for Starters, etc. While I can't say I wrote 30 poems in 30 days, I'm pleased with the amount of quality work I've done in the month--it's been a while since I had a month so creatively productive, and it's given me some pleasure amid my grieving for my father, for the life I'd imagined for myself and lost with his death. 

Kudos to my MA students Alia Brinkman and Jenny Martin for writing a poem a day all month long! I'm impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment