Wednesday 24 September 2008

Two Days for the Victims

Let's start small. Yesterday I received word that the defendant--the dentist whose overfilling of my root canal and use of a toxic sealant has left part of my face permanently numbed, permanently pained--increased his damages offer so that, while my solicitor will try to increase it somewhat further, it's good enough to settle at and not go to court. Partly I'm relieved, pleased; partly I feel like it's feeble compared to a lifelong disability. I'm going to look into having laser eye surgery, so it feels like some equivalence has been found, however rough.

Now, going large: Today I phoned home to learn that a Chicago law firm has taken up my father's case for medical negligence. Since the negligence and consequently his paralysis occurred in February '07, my parents have paid out of their retirement money for everything Medicare won't cover. That has resulted in my father receiving only intermittent physical and occupational therapy, such that what progress he gained in a physical rehab facility last year has been mostly lost. Anyway, my parents engaged a local lawyer, who then, given the size of the case, approached two Chicago law firms with the capacity to carry such a case out. The first said no, but this one said yes, and soon, soon I hope, Dad will receive better care and restitution for all the money they've spent. This is the best news we've had in a long, long while.

3 comments:

  1. I am so pleased for you and your family, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:13 am

    I'm so glad to see this, Carrie. It is a huge comfort to know that your parents are being cared for by someone who sees how real the harm is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know, I think this is great news, and somewhat overdue for a good man, and a previously extremely active man. I hope the big firm can make sure he and his family need never worry about finances around his health and care ever again, especially in these worrying financial times in both the U.S.A and the U.K.

    Give him a metaphysical hug from me! ;-)

    Alan

    ReplyDelete